Santa Barbara area sources you may enjoy:
- Island Seed & Feed, Freeway and Fairview, organic, supplies and plants, seeds, bulk supplements ie bone meal, blood meal, kelp, mycorrhizal fungi, etc. Take some time here to see what all they have to offer. Map
- Terra Sol Nursery on Patterson, supports Healing Grounds Nursery by selling their organic plants.
- La Sumida Nursery, just down the street on Patterson, also sells Healing Grounds’s plants. Sign up for their events emails!
- Hearts Adaptive Riding Program ‘stables’ for free horse manure at Transfer Station. Be careful to get it ‘cold,’ likely will have weed seeds, but also often worms! To keep us welcome, please drive very slowly on the grounds when they are in session. Some of the riders are disabled, including one blind woman who rides!
- Transfer Station for free sand (available in the winter when rain storms). Good to add to clay soil. Most gardeners feel the Transfer Station free mulch is not safe for use in veggie gardens due to sources possibly having diseased plants or pesticides. Ok in the pathways.
- Santa Barbara Master Gardeners Helpline: Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. at the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, leave word at other times (805) 682-4726 ext. 117, Fax: (805) 692-1731, email: email@example.com OR, Become a Master Gardener!!!!
- Neighborhood Garden Exchanges! Usually within walking or bicycling distance, share your surplus, learn, meet your neighbors, make new garden friends! To get on the email list contact Lynn@SBFoodNotLawns.org or join up on facebook!
Gardening Calendar, Farmers’ Almanac – Weather & Best dates