Whether you make it or buy it, silly to sensible, it will be so appreciated! If you shop, Shop Green! Support your local businesses, nurseries and events as much as possible. Have fun, make new good friends!
Keep these lists handy for the holidays, Mother’s and Father’s Days, birthdays, Summer Solstice, any special occasion! It’s wonderful and rewarding to share for a good green cause!
Gifts From Your Garden, Heart to Heart!
Fresh holiday table veggies ie Sweet Potatoes!
A fresh gathered Bouquet Garni tied with a bright ribbon
Seeds! Grow transplants as gifts ~
Plants, with a bow on the container, a cut-and-come-again lettuce bowl
Canned or dehydrated favorites, dated and labeled
Colorful super tasty organic preserves make them want more!
Herbal seasonings, teas, dusting powders, salves
Herbal shampoo – sage darkens your hair, chamomile lightens
Herbal pillows, sachets
Selection of scented candles, lovely herbal soaps
Herbed vinegars & oils are simple to make, and beautiful! In white wine or rice vinegars:
- Lavender is rose red
- Nasturtium flowers release neon orange
- Sage in flower & purple basil are magenta!
Classic spicy Orange Pomander balls
Lovely Winter Wreath, a fall dried bouquet
Special gift for a really busy person who wants to eat right! Fresh organic salad in a Mason jar? Yum!
Gifts To Your Favorite Gardener with Love!
- A Gift Certificate offering your precious time weeding, turning in amendments, planting edible flowers, offer to haul that straw bale – you must kneel down and do as you are told! Just kidding! But it could be a lot of fun….
- Local services, like an hour of time on something that takes a little more doing than one person would like to do alone, or a consult with your local sustainable landscaper! Hey, it’s a win/win! It’s sustainable and makes you all happy! Trifecta!
- A Gift Certificate to a garden supply house, favorite nursery!
- Garden supplies – Easy ready-made bags or some of your genuine homemade organic compost, worms or worm castings! Special potting mixes, fertilizers, compost. Straw Bales. A composter!
- Catalogs for Organic Seeds – it’s soon to be ordering time!!!
- Seeds for any SoCal season! Packets, or gather from your own garden! Put in pretty little jars – label and tie with a bright festive bow. Some may be used for seasoning, some for planting!
- Get that pretty trellis they have been eyeing!
- Garden tools – Fiskars pruning shears, a long snouted Dramm watering can? A garden tool apron, tool pail? Kneeling bench!
- A fantastic Garden Basket
- Fashionable garden garb – colorful muck boots, clogs, comfy knee pads, colorful gloves, a lovely hat!
- Lovely resting chair with umbrella, seating area furniture. Ah…and garden plates and mugs.
- That adorable scarecrow!
- The perfect lightweight but strong workhorse wheelbarrow
- Buy or build them a greenhouse!
- Take them to that out-of-town nursery or fabulous botanic garden they always wanted to visit!
- Send your friend to a green seminar or conference
- Give a magazine/ezine subscription or some wished for books – cookbooks, historic gardens, how tos, California Master Gardener Handbook!
- A garden club membership. Stand them the Community Garden fee!
So many rewarding options ~ and there are many more!
Oh, and don’t forget to leave your own garden shopping list lying about the house…. If someone tries to discourage you from buying something on the list, let them. Who knows what will show up with a bow on it?!
Garden love and support to all you givers and receivers! As Will Allen of Growing Power says….there is something very Spiritual about touching the soil, that’s where life begins. I agree. Let’s stay in touch.
The Green Bean Connection started as correspondence for the Santa Barbara CA USA, Pilgrim Terrace Community Garden. All three of Santa Barbara city community gardens are very coastal. During late spring/summer we are in a fog belt/marine layer area most years, locally referred to as the May grays, June glooms and August fogusts. Keep that in mind compared to the microclimate niche where your veggie garden is. Bless you for being such a wonderful Earth Steward!
See the entire December 2016 GBC Newsletter!
Events! January 29 Santa Barbara 9th Annual SEED SWAP!
See the wonderful November images at Rancheria Community Garden!
Love your Mother! Plant bird & bee food! Think grey water! Grow organic!